Archive:

Jul 10, 2009

SMELLS LIKE I CARE ABOUT MOVIES



I don't know if you have similar experiences with family members, but every time I've gone back home in the past year my dad asked me to sit down and watch The Visitor with him and every time I just didn't get around to it. I didn't care and it was obvious.

I finally watched it this past Fourth of July weekend and it inspired me to post on here for the first time since March (double meaning).

I don't watch many movies, which is not something to be explained here, but when I do, I usually read a few reviews on the film and I'd probably agree with most reviews on The Visitor - the plot follows a familiar path.

Please watch it, though. Richard Jenkins (who I didn't recognize as the father from Six Feet Under because this dude is a good fucking actor) is genius and if you have any interest in character study, whether for film or writing or photography or anything, you will lose your mind.

Sean Penn got a big pat on the back for playing a gay man, but Jenkins was robbed. Actually, nevermind, Jenkins doesn't need it because he's already transcended to some sort of story-telling nirvana. I just made two Kurt Cobain references in one sentence. Sort of.

EDIT: This gushing also may be a result of the fact that I saw Away We Go just before this and it was really, really not good.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved The Visitor too. Richard Jenkins should be my dead dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the visitor rules. I actually went through a similar thing with my dad, and was really glad once I finally watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. marian seldes! i thought she looked familiar and then i realized i met her at emerson. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete