Archive:

Dec 3, 2009

I LOVE PERFUME

I, too, have been thinking about perfumes a lot lately. People have been telling me how great I smell lately. I don't use perfume.
Case in point: In handing over my one year old nephew to my sister in law, she commented that he smelled of my aftershave. I don't use aftershave.

From my time home during Thanksgiving, I learned two things about myself. Apparently, I smell like the woods. Also, I look either professorial or like a lumberjack (depending on who you ask, or who inquires to tell).

The Hill-Side, a company best known for producing some pretty classy WWII garb (mostly ties and scarves), has decided to open an online old-timey department store. They seemingly did this while no one was looking. A virtual ode to Macy's heyday.
My favorite things include their vintage boots and their toiletries sections. And God, the toiletry section. Portland General Store supplies their "Tweed" Lotion Stick, "Wood" Body Cream, "Whiskey" Wet Shave Balm.

A quick look at the packaging:


And taking a look at Portland General Store's Etsy, the selection gets just a bit odder. How does "Tobacco" Bath Scrub sound? How about "Moss no. 017" Cologne?
As described by the alchemist herself:
Portland General Store is the brainchild of Lisa Brodar. The inspiration for Portland General comes from a love of Maine and all things artisinal, and the idea that peak oil and cheap transportation of imported goods is coming to an end and being replaced by a more local means of trade. Portland General Store products are made using the most natural and highest quality ingredients available.
Sounds good to me.



I officially dub this week Perfume Week on Family Family Tree.
Stay tuned for another entry relating A.P.C.'s new line of cologne to Glen Baxter's remarkable wit. I told you a Glen Baxter entry was in the works. If you have any information regarding interesting perfumes, who's making them, or anything else neat, you know where to get at me. No Patrick Süskind allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment